Monday, May 2, 2011

Justice and the Death of Osama bin Laden

Does God celebrate the death of the wicked?  Should the church celebrate the death of bin Laden? 

You think about things differently when you’ve got children in the house.  Last night, as the news of Osama bin Laden’s death rolled in, I watched images of Americans jubilantly shouting in the streets and waving American flags.  A flood of emotions came over me, but I found myself thinking, “I sure am glad my boys are in bed and aren’t seeing this.”

How does celebration over the death of a person, regardless of who he may have been, correlate to the truth of Christianity?  Where is the sorrow, grief, and anger toward sin?  How different is man’s understanding of justice from God’s understanding of justice?  Should the church think differently than the world about this kind of stuff?

I am not criticizing the actions of our Commander-in-Chief or our military.  I am not excusing the actions of those who masterminded and carried out the attacks of 911.  In my opinion, when the word “evil” was used a decade ago, it was well-chosen and accurate.  It still is.  But on this Monday morning I am trying to figure out how I as a follower of Christ am supposed to think rightly about these things.  Moreover, I am wondering how I am supposed to talk to the boys about Osama bin Laden tonight when I get home.

How do we think about sin and grace—and particularly about justice in times like this?

First and foremost, I myself must seek to think as God would have me think.  In times like this, I must remind myself that God is at work and that one day he is going to make all things right.  I must avoid worldly thinking about justice, and realize that any earthly justice is not ultimate justice.  True justice was seen on the cross and in the empty tomb.  It will ultimately be seen as Christ returns and as the nations are gathered around his throne.  Ultimate justice is seen clearly in Revelation 7:8-10—After this I looked, and behold, a great multitude that no one could number, from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed in white robes, with palm branches in their hands, and crying out with a loud voice, “Salvation belongs to our God who sits on the throne, and to the Lamb!” 

Second, it is imperative that I lead my children to an awareness of this situation in light of God’s Word.  Tonight, I imagine that we will talk a lot about people like Presidents Bush and Obama, Osama bin Laden, about things like al Qaida, the World Trade Center, and more.  But more than that, I plan on talking with Amy and the boys about sin and its devastating effects.  I look forward to us talking about God’s justice and mercy through Christ for all who believe.  Most of all, I want to lead my family in seeing that the death of Osama bin Laden is not a thing in which we should glory—but that we are those who glory in the cross of Christ.

For Christians, the news that came last night should cause us to sorrow over sin more grievously and to anticipate Christ’s return more expectantly.

Pastor Todd